I have a confession…
I don’t think fried foods are alkaline – even if you are using “approved” alkaline foods.
For some reason, a lot of vegans promote and push fried foods, but I don’t think vegan food has to be deep-fried to taste good, & obviously, deep-fried food is NOT good for you.
Sometimes, you need that crunchy, fatty, salty goodness of fried foods that a salad and a smoothie just can’t satisfy.
So what do you do when you want to limit fried foods… but need to live a little?
In walks these Oven Fried Bites, reminiscent of mini chicken nuggets.
The recipe is super fast to whip up, satisfies fried food cravings, without any deep-fried guilt. This is the perfect recipe if you don’t have an air-fryer and/or transitioning to eat more plant based foods.
This cooks FAST, so don’t walk away from the oven while it’s cooking. Whip up a nice side salad and dipping sauce to go alongside your delicious bites, and keep your eye on the oven. You want these to be golden brown and crispy.
I ate these with sautéed dandelion greens along side a not so alkaline tahini honey mustard. I am 98% plant-based – not vegan, and I consume honey. Agave has very little nutritional value, and is not something I use in my cooking. Please adjust the honey mustard with ingredients that align with your lifestyle.
Also, there are ingredients in this that are not on Dr. Sebi’s list of least detrimental foods, so again make the appropriate changes as you see fit. This is meant to be an inspiration for you to try; I welcome you to modify and make this your own.
Oven-Fried Oyster Mushrooms
- 1/2 pound of washed oyster mushrooms in bite-sized pieces
- 2 tbs of grapeseed or avocado oil
- 1/4 c of chickpea flour (or flour of your choice)
- 1 teaspoon of sage
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika (or achiote powder if you are strict Sebian)
- 1 teaspoon of dried basil
- Salt& pepper to taste
- 1 tbs of lemon juice (optional for Sebians)
- Preheat your oven to roast at 400 degrees
- Toss all ingredients together well
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet
- Baked for 10-15 minutes
- Remove and check. Turn over if you desire.
- Continue cooking for an addition 5 to 10 minutes until golden brown
- Remove from oven and lightly salt and toss in (optional) lemon zest or lemon pepper seasoning.
Tahini Honey Mustard
- 2 tablespoons of tahini
- 1 tablespoon of honey (use agave if you do not consume honey)
- 1-2 tablespoons of whole-grain or Dijon mustard (I am not aware of any Dr. Sebi approved alternative for mustard)
- A squeeze of lemon juice
- Cayenne to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- Water to thin out the sauce
Blend all ingredients together. Thin the sauce out with water. Enjoy!